Header Image

Socotoro

Historical records show that Socotoro, also referred to as Socotora, was a government-owned plantation established in 1839.

The plantation consisted of several adjoining parcels of land, covering a total area of approximately 11.77 bunder (23,540 m²). Unlike many plantations on Aruba that were privately owned, Socotoro was administered by the colonial government.

Records indicate that the plantation was used for the cultivation of cochineal and aloe, two products that played an important role in Aruba's nineteenth-century agricultural economy.

Oral Histories

Stories carried by families, neighbors, and elders.